“New Year, New Me!“
We’ve all said it at one point – many of us say it every single year.
2020 has been a heck of a year for all of us, and as a result there will be countless more people proclaiming that this time, more than any other time, they will truly and fully embrace the ethos of “New Year New Me”.
They will be swearing that this time will be different, this time they will change.
- It might be conquering a habit.
- it might be changing your mindset.
- It might be losing weight / quitting smoking / taking up exercise.
- It might me one of a million different changes.
And they are all very admirable changes to make.
But if YOU are saying “New Year New Me“, then I’ve got one simple question for you –
If you are serious about making that change, then why on earth woudl you wait until New Year to make the change?
Why not commit, take action, and do it now?
If you really want it so badly that you will do whatever it takes to make the change, why woudl you put it off a few more weeks?
As the saying goes –
The best time to plant a tree is 30 years ago; the second best time is now.
The best time certainly isn’t “I’ll wait and do it at some arbitrary point in the future” – that tree will never get planted!
Why Do People Wait?
The reality is that most people put these things off to New Year simply because they don’t actually want to make any changes.
They are comfortable where they are, they can’t be bothered changing or improving, it’s too much effort.
Oh, we know we “should”, and we will make grand New Year Resolutions to that effect.
Often we will say it to sound good, or because of peer pressure, or because in the moment we do actually think we shoudl probably make some changes.
But deep down, most people don’t want to change or put in the effort.
And that is why they wait! Because by committing to the change BUT putting the actual commitment out into the future sometime, it gives us the feel-good boost but without any of the effort.
Whereas those who WANT to make the change? They are busy doing it.
Which one are you?
Are you one of those who waits because they don’t actually deep down want to change?
Or are you one of those who knows they want to change, and start the process right now – there really is no time like the present! After all, when you start now, you will be weeks ahead come the New Year, and you’ll be all the better for it!
If you are one of those who knows they want to make change, here’s three simple steps to get you started.
- Get clear on what specifically you want (make it what you DO want, rather than what you DON’T want – for example “I want to lose 10kg” rather than “I don’t want to be fat”)
- Write down what you want from step 1, and list as many positive reasons as you can to support why you really do want this. Be specific, get as deep into them as you can. The stronger the reasons, the greater your ability to get through even the tough parts of the work.
- Seek help to make the changes. Whether it’s finding coach, or a mentor, or signing up for a class, or seeking out a mate who has done it – whatever it is, you will have a far greater chance of success if you have support.
And above all – start now. The sooner you get started, the longer you will be able to enjoy the benefits of that change throughout the rest of your life.
Award-winning coach, international speaker, multi-time best-selling author, hypnotist, occasional magician, and writer of this post, Keith spent his first 40 years suffering from several phobias including being terrified of speaking with strangers. After one incident too many, he started studying and training in NLP & hypnosis to conquer his own issues, found he was rather good at it, and changed careers (aided by redundancy at just the right moment after 20 years in IT). He helps people transform their deepest fears into their greatest strengths, and having helped over 5,000 people across 5 continents, he is the UK’s #1 Fear Strategist.